Notes below were posted on Friday, September 23, 2005

Video!

I've been playing around with adding video to my blog. I was successful. Well, kinda.

I have a URL that contains a 5-minute video clip of Megan. However, it is about 90 MB and takes over 2 hours to download with a dialup connection - and that's with a download helper program that I use called GetRight. My connection speed was 42.6 Kbps.

The file downloaded at work from an ISDN connection in about 15 minutes or so, and the QuickTime player opened automatically to play the file.

So......I wouldn't try to open the video unless you have a really fast connection like RoadRunner or something. If you use dialup, you might want to set it to download overnight. I'm going to continue to work on posting video presentations. I found a program that allows you to alter the frame rate, picture size, resolution, and a few other parameters to get the file size smaller. Also, I learned that you really don't need 5 minutes of Megan to see how cute she is. My future videos will probably be a minute or less. The time seemed to go by faster when I was watching the video, but I see now that I'm really going to need to trim the time to get a file that is reasonable to download. I'm also looking at a few other codecs to allow for a more efficient delivery. I've heard that MPEG 4 does a good job, but I haven't found freeware that will allow me to encode to that format yet.

I'll also do some cosmetic things like having you click on an icon rather than the URL. This is the kind of thing that I enjoy playing with, but I've run out of time. Barbara and I leave for Hollywood (not CA but AL) in the morning to meet up with Laura and Megan at Barbara's mom's home. I'll be there through the middle of next week. It's about 9:30 pm now so I'd better start packing.